Position Purpose:The primary purpose of this position is to prepare samples and perform data collection activities using physics and X-ray based instrumentation at the Transportation Security Laboratory (TSL).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs material characterization (e.g. microscope imaging, density measurements, rheological and mechanical properties).
- Prepares test samples for analyses.
- Operates explosive detection systems (EDS) as well as analytical physics instrumentation (computed tomography, x-ray fluorescence, x-ray diffraction, etc.) for data collection.
- Performs troubleshooting, maintenance, and method development on EDS and analytical instrumentation.
- Safely handles explosive and other hazardous materials.
- Assembles test articles and bags per test specifications.
- Develops and uses code (MATLAB, Python, R) for data analysis.
- Analyzes, compiles, and reports data collection results for research and development and quality control testing events.
- Composes and reviews technical reports and standard operating procedures.
- Composes, reviews, and executes test plans.
- Performs literature reviews.
- Sources materials and submits purchase requests.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Good listening skills.
- Good working knowledge of scientific and analytical techniques.
- Good working skills of software and tools necessary for job functions including Microsoft Office suite, MATLAB, Python.
Incumbent should have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in chemistry, engineering, physics, or other core science and up to five years of experience.
The incumbent is expected to work and/or be available during regular business hours. He/she should also generally be available via e-mail or phone during non-business hours as needed to address critical issues or emergencies. He/she may be required to travel on behalf of the company up to 25%.